Many parents look forward to purchasing their baby's first pair of shoes. Prior to this enjoyable time, many parents have their babies crawl and walk barefoot, which is helpful in strengthening the entire foot. When it is time for your child to walk outside, they may like the sensation of feeling different surfaces on their feet, such as grass and sand. For rougher surfaces or inclement weather, shoes will need to be worn. Research has shown it is best for the first shoes to have non-slip soles and to be made with flexible materials. The fit should be perfect when the shoes are first tried on, and a break-in period is not needed. Many babies like to pull their shoes off, and there are various ways to avoid that. Firstly, it is important to make sure they fit correctly and are not too tight. Secondly, they may try to pull them off because they don’t like them, and parents need to make sure as best as they can that this is avoided. This may have to be done by testing various styles and colors before purchasing the shoes. If you have questions about what type of shoes to buy for your children, please confer with a podiatrist who can help you with any concerns you may have.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Sayville Foot Care. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Sayville, NY . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.